Monday, May 07, 2007

"What movie has had the most impact on you?"

I was recently asked this question and it kind of took me off guard...
I love my movies. I appreciate the art behind it, the skills involved and foremost the escape that it can offer.

To date, I've seen countless movies. Quite literally, I've seen so many movies sometimes I get plot lines confused. I wouldn't call myself a movie buff, I simply got into it too late to be a full fledged one, but I like to think I know a thing or two.

But this question, made me think...I've seen a lot, but have any of it really made an impact on me? Be it negative or positive? The others quickly mentioned the movies that have had negative impact; Closer (for its up front dialogue and general theme of relationships), Irreversible (for its shocking violence and rape scene) and Trainspotting (for its...well, general disturbing-ness).

The only movie that really came to mind was King Kong.

Now, before you laugh your heads off, hear me out.

As I told the others, as an "aspiring" film person (director/producer/the whole sch-bang), the 2005 version of King Kong was...magical.

I had just seen the original King Kong, before seeing the new, which probably helped a lot. In the new King Kong, you can see the little touches that Peter Jackson (the director) has added in reference/honour of the original. Be it a line of meanless dialogue, some set pieces clearly inspired by the original or amped up sequences of the original. And further more, technology has allowed Jackson to tell a better story as you can really see the emtion coming from Kong himself and the actors. (In the original it was made in the 20s or 30s, so the only emtion from Kong was a raise of the eyebrow, in which we are lead to believe "love conquered him". What love are they talking about?)


I guess as a stand alone movie, it's not as great as I claim it to be...
And maybe I'm the only one that feels this way...
It doesn't really matter. But THAT question... I'm still thinking it over...
much love, I.

2 comments:

liss said...

ooh THAT question.
i thought your explanation to be very compelling though, even if i was tickled when you first said King Kong.
think more! and then share!

ippei said...

lol. Yes. I think everyone intially had a giggle at my expense when I said King Kong, but that's okay. =P

I'm still sticking with King Kong at the moment. If I come across a movie that knocks me to the floor, I'll let you know.

BTW, thanks for the question, Melissa.