Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Money...or Prestige?

Taking a break from hurting my brain to remember what I did last summer, and before I get to the post, a few minor changes/insertions to my blog.

As you can see, along the right, I now have a many a links, mostly concerned with movies. You know I love talking about them, so leave me a comment regarding anything and I'll post back.

Agree? Disagree with any of it?

The visual DNA thingy is quite interesting. Give it a go yourselves and compare.

If I've got any of your locations wrong, please let me know. I'm only going by "last known location".

I've also finally gotten a hold of some pics from my travels to Japan. Check them through my Flickr.

Now, onto the post...



This came on the back of reading an article in Empire Magazine (not so much an article, but a section. and YES, it's a movie mag. =P). It was comparing two actors. Both talented in their own right, both are big earners and both are black.

Denzel Washington. Will Smith.

Now, it's not a matter of who's better (we'd all have our opinions on that) or who's made better films (same thing again). The comparison outlined their CVs, so to speak. And it made me think...who would you rather be? Or rather, in which situation would you rather yourself in?

Denzel has had only 2 movies that have raked in $100Million+ at the box office (The Pelican Brief(really?) and Remember the Titans). But from 5 Oscar nominations, has won 2 (Glory, Best supporting actor, and Training Day, Best Actor). He's probably the most critically acclaimed black (African-American) actor in history.

Will on the other hand has had 10 (!) movies that have raked in $100Million+ (Independence Day, Enemy of the State, Wild Wild West, Men in Black 1 & 2, Bad Boys 2, I, Robot, Shark Tale, Hitch and The Pursuit of Happyness). His had 2 Oscar nominations, but has failed to win one as yet. He's probably one of the most likable/charismatic guys ever. Can also rap...well, kinda. =P

Now in the modern era, when Box Office returns count for sooooo much. Hypothetically, who's shoes would you rather be in? The money and "big star" status that Will Smith has? Or the prestige and accolades of being recognised as one of the modern eras greatest actors?

It's food for thought...

And I know you might think, "doesn't being an Oscar-winner make you a big star?" Well yes and no. Best case example would probably be the lovable Tom Hanks. He's won at least 2 Oscars, yet is lucky enough to continue to be able to churn out Blockbusters. Then on the other end of the scale, you have Adrien Brody. Adrien who?...you may ask. Well, that's my point. (He's the dude that smooched Halle Berry when we won and got away with it.) A fine actor in his own right, but what has he done lately? There's also Johnny Depp, but he's an anomaly. =P

I also know that actors don't usually get to choose. Or rather most aren't even lucky enough to get to this point. That's why it's a hypothetical.

In my humble opinion, I would take the prestige. Being recognised as the best at what you do, I think is the highest honour that anyone could have. You might be out shined or over shadowed by the more "flasher" stars, but knowing you are the best (or one of the) in the game is something that's going to be priceless.

I guess, it would also depend on why your in the game in the first place. The fame and fortune or the art?

much love, I.

3 comments:

LX said...

id go with denzel. i agree with you, money aint everything and denzel has enough of it... being good at what you do is the best reward. will smith is cool too though. cos im mike lowwwwwwwwwry.

YaYa said...

i love this post. made me think.

(im at work hehe)

id be denzel too. a girl version of it. i just love how he acts. i dont really 'care?' of how he's recognised. i just personally think he's good.

i want will smith's 'happiness' though - i mean im not saying denzel is not, just saying look at him and his wife and ADORABLE kids. yes, me, back to the kids. hehe

money - id rather be oprah. ;)

ippei said...

So that's two to the prestige. lol.

Tiara, you raise a good point. Will Smith looks like he's having more fun. Family, money and all.

That's something that made me hesitate in my choice. You are being recognised as the best IN THAT YEAR by a bunch of old farts (Oscars). Is that really being the best?

I think we can all agree that it wouldn't be about the money. You would make it (money) either way. lol

Will Smith, I think is definitely more popular, and I think more famous. Plus he looks like he's enjoying life more (or maybe Denzel, is just a private person).

Does that change/add to your perspective?

...added spices to the food for thought...

PS. glad you liked the post! =P