Monday, May 14, 2007

Whirlwind stop over...

It's been a long time coming...and lets see if I can remember...

On my way to, and from, Japan, I had a 5+ hour transit at Singapore's MASSIVE Changhi airport. Now, it used to be that I would happily spend that time in the airport, making use of:
  • the sleeping area: with our luggage held tight, in a bear-like grip.
  • the free net: on annoying 15minute intervals, but they didn't have this five years ago.
  • the endless shopping: had I had more cash, probably would have come away with more than what I did (Chivas, cologne, cookies)
  • the food: it's not a matter of trying something 'different' because they also have the stock standard.
  • the TV/lounge area: usually often packed. And TV playing irrelevant sports...argh...

But this time it was different. I decided to spend almost two days, on the way, and the transit hours, on the way back, there. All thanks to a great friend being able to show me around.

I arrived in Sing-sing at about 8pm? I think. Went my separate ways with my mum and sister, who were spending the transition hours at the airport, before heading straight to Japan. I went through customs and had a random convo with the officer about my cap (Nike tracker LBJ cap) and how he couldn't find one like it in Singapore. I was like WTF? but okay...

Aaron WAS meant to meet me at the arrival lounge but, surprise, surprise, he was no where to be found. I took a wonder around, exchanged a few Aussie dollars for Sing dollars (go the exchange rate!) and waited. Eventually he showed up with his cheeky smile... AND I brought him some goodies as well (2kg worth of NUTS and Johnny Black).

Let's see, what did I do...

  • Had Asahi black! It's just stout beer I think. But it was pretty good.
  • Had a Singapore Sling! I really can't remember how it tasted...
  • Had SOOOOOOOOO much to eat, it wasn't funny...it seemed like every place we went, I was eating something. But it was sooooo cheap and it was all good.
  • Met a few AIESECers. Didn't really talk to them though...
  • Bought a phone! Which I will no longer use, because I don't need it. lol. EBay anyone?
  • Got caught in the infamous Singapore tropical down pours! It came from no where and we were eating kakigouri (Japanese-style, ice shavings with syrup, mmmm) at the time. Lucky I didn't catch a cold.
  • Had really good Arabian food (I think that's what it was). Unique but it was fantastic. Found the place randomly as well.
  • Went to a really cool bar in the style of a villa. The atmosphere was awesome, but I remember it closing early...
  • Met up briefly with Heidi for lunch.
  • Wondered randomly in the streets, through markets or something...
  • Had tea and sheesha on Baghdad street (see picture above).

That was about it. Quite a random collection of memories, scatter-brain that it is...

Oh, oh. One thing I can't forget is the Singapore taxis. Each time I saw one, I thought that was a real person and freaked me out (see below). lol. Never got used to that and still amuses me to this day. =P

Much love, I.

7 comments:

aaron said...

really glad you had a ball!

sorry for dragging you along to those @ talks, its just that I'd already commited and all... :(

you had iranian!

yeap, it was a balinese villa, one of my favourites.

i know we were constantly on the go... but u know, was just trying to fit as much (not just food) in as possible :)

ippei said...

hahaha, and I appreciated every bit of it. You even let me crash at your place. Now that's love. lol.

Had a blast and it's all thanks to you, brother. I forgot to mention that "Bouncy" ride that your were too 'chicken' to get on and the down pour that hit us on the freeway, in your convertible. lol. =P

ah, good times.

honey&roses said...

HAHAhahaha that taxi freaks me out everytime too!!!

sounds like u had alot of fun!!!! :D

-shez

ippei said...

Sheryl~~~

hehehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one! =P

It was short but very fun indeed. =)

Anonymous said...

Weird, when I was in Singapore last May, why didn't I notice the taxi man? Maybe he was not born yet?

Anonymous said...

Oh, oops, forgot to say, it was me who posted the last comment!

Suzi

ippei said...

hahaha Suzi.

yeah maybe he was in his development stage. :P

But it's a good thing! You were saved from the 'freak-out-ness'! lol.