Friday, October 26, 2007

bringing out emtions that you never knew you had...


I've been meaning to post this for some time now. Well, at least ever since I got back from Japan which was way back in Feb. I've talked to some people about it, other will be hearing this for the first time...

Being born in Japan but raised here, I'd never previously had the opportunity to visit Hiroshima. Now that I had a railway pass (ulimated travel on the Shinkansen-system) I wasn't about to pass up this chance. I was hoping that either my sis or ma would come with (they had been there before) but both refused. It was probably for the best.

Let me set the mood. It was a cloudy and dreary day. There was no sky to be seen, just an endless stretch of grey and misty rain falling non stop. It was a very somber atmosphere. It suited the site I was to visit on this day.

It was the Peace and Memorial Garden/Park (I'm annoyed I don't remember the exact name of this place). As soon as you get off the light rail the imagine below hits you...





That's the Atomic Bomb dome. It what remains from the building that was pretty much directly below where the bomb exploded. Imagine it though surrounded in mist and it coming clearer as you got closer. It was that type of weather.

As you work your way around this park, you encounter the Peace Bell, the countless tributes, the memorials and it concludes with the mueseum. I'm not a shamed to admit that I had saltwater well up in my eyes several times as I spent a good 2-3 hours here. I think the weather might have contributed to that though. :P

What suprised me the most is how emotional I got. It was kinda shocking but also inspiring at the same time. It's something that's affected a lot of people in Japan, and even probably the world. I guess thinking of it that way, it's no wonder I was. lol.

If you ever get the opportunity to go to Japan. Please visit it. It might not effect you in the way it did me. But I'm pretty sure it's an important part of world history and something that we all need to learn from.

Peace,

iP.

1 comment:

Leanne said...

I was pretty emotional too, and I think partly because I didn't expect to be so moved by all the items they have preserved, the stories, the letters..

Did I tell you I was working in Hiroshima? Small town, very cosy.