Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Movie Review: Bolt

BOLT
Main Players: (voices of) John Travolta, Miley Cyrus, Susie Essman, et al.
Calling the shots: Byron Howard & Chris Williams
Running time: 96mins
What's it about? Raised on a TV set, Bolt thinks everything he does on TV he can actually do. When his owner Penny is kidnapped on the show, Bolt escapes from the studios to save her. He soon learns the rough ways of the real world and instead learns to be a normal dog. With the help of a streetwise cat and a manic fan hamster, he makes his way home.

What did I think? I’ve said recently that I love my animations, so this one was a no brainer for me to see. Unfortunately I didn’t see it in 3D (I still want to, so let me know if anyone wants to) because in 3D it probably would have been better.

As enjoyable as this was, it was a little disappointing to find that the laughs weren’t as consistent. From the trailers, I expected it to be funny all the way through and though the funny moments are hilarious, they were too far in between for my liking. It instead settled comfortably into the usual family-oriented entertainment that Disney can now produce with their eyes closed.

Having said that, it starts with a BANG! The opening sequence of the actual show within-the-movie is incredibly exciting. It’d be a show I’d definitely watch. So compared to this explosive start, the rest of the movie feels a little slower but as I mentioned before is a well told story much in the vain of ‘The Incredibles’.

They have also perfected the art of cuteness. Little Bolt is absolutely adorable and when he learns to be a dog by doing the “puppy-dog eyes” it is cute and funny at the same time. The animation itself is incredible and attention to detail is insane. See the way the pigeons talk and move; it’s spotless.

John Travolta does well as the voice of Bolt as does the rest of the cast, who are all cast perfectly. Though Miley is probably a little underutilized, except for the obvious song that she is probably forced to sing for the soundtrack. The hamster probably steals most of the movie, though most of his funny lines are given away in the trailer.

It’s a safe crowd pleaser that doesn’t try to do anything it can’t. So as a side effect, it won’t blow you away but will entertain you like only Disney animations can and you will also walk away being a fan of BOLT!

60%

No comments: