Monday, September 22, 2008

South American dreaming...

Coming off of a lengthy lay off, I need a holiday. Not the stay at home, do nothing kind. But a real getaway kind. Go somewhere I've never been (or at least haven't been for a while), experience a different culture even if for a little while.

It was all planned out mind you. I was to take a trip to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei with Toby, Yi, Emma, Makka and Oendrila early next year. But because of my time away from work, I'll need to build back up my leave again. Bummer.

So, this supposed "getaway" won't happen in the near future but when it does, I know where I wanna go. I don't even know where the inspiration (or rather the fascination) came from. I guess thinking about all the places i hadn't and wanted to go, it just stood out.

I even went as far as to buy a Lonely Planet's Guide on the continent. "South America on a shoe string". ha! Impulse buy? Maybe (it had a little to do with Borders having a sale and Bri's suggesting). But the motivation to one day head there is real.

The Amazon. Easter Island. Machu Picchu. The Galápagos. Carnivalé. It is such a interesting place with vast cultures, yet similar in someways.

Now I'm a terrible reader, so I'm only up to Argentina in the book (the countries are listed alphabetically. :P ) but it already sounds amazing. Perhaps to follow the road the Ché travelled or to visit where Evita left her mark. The options are limitless.

Talking to Heidi about her trip to Brazil recently has also been good, though I'll need to talk more in depth with her about it.

Spanish is something I need to learn, I figure. Maria has offered to teach me some, but perhaps proper classes are in order as well (last check $250 for a 10-week course) but not so cheap. It's okay though; i have time. And now that I'm working, I'll HAVE money. Not now but eventually. :P

cíao (if only I had learned Spanish in school and not Italian...not that i had a choice or cared back then),
Ippei K.

No comments: