Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A great passion?

What is passion really?

I think this word is thrown out there willy-nilly, like the word 'love', and the meaning of the word is starting to get lost. It's a really strong feeling/emotion for/or about something right? So I think in that case I've got two definite ones at the moment.

One goes without saying. The other...basketball...

Even with my current head-cold, I decided to brave the cold. Strap on my black and yellow sneakers. Pull on my elbow supporter. Grab that round leathery ball and head out for some shoot around. It's a 'kid friendly' park across the street. The ring lower than I remember. The weather cold as hell. The sun slowly fading.

I've just been craving to play. Dribbling. Shooting. Laying up. Wishing I could dunk. =P

Surprisingly, I hadn't lost any of my skills (at least of what I had. =P) but had lost all of my fitness. But I guess it's like the whole 'once you know, you know forever' kinda thing. Like riding a bike. Except I can't ride a bike...lol.

It was just me and the ball. 'Playing' basketball for the first time in who knows how long and as tired as I was getting, I felt so relaxed. So free. It was fun. Maybe because I was craving it so much. Maybe not.

It also reminded me of a lot of the past experiences I've had...

Watching the NBA on TV with dad. Playing basketball every lunch time and after school during primary and high schools. Rolling my ankle three times. Winning the 'B Grade' championship way back in 96. Crying because the training session was so tough. Getting our ass handed to us by a team at least twice our size but in the same age group. Countless jump shots I've made. Even more that I've missed. Always wishing I was taller, more athletic. Trash talking. Remembering when I used to be soft. Nailing a winning basket. Missing potential game winning free throws. Missing our finals because of sickness in 05. The days when a great friend and I played one-on-one for as long as both of us could see...

The funny thing is I don't even know when my love of this game started. But I guess that's what a 'great passion' is. Something you know that is important and means a lot to you, and it's been there since you can remember...

How many of these are you allowed to have?

much love, I.

5 comments:

LX said...

this post shall go down in the annals of blogosphere as one of the greatest posts. keep doing what you do, buddy. except for that picture, that's just weird.

ippei said...

lol. thanks bro. Even if it is an exaggeration. Hearing it is great. hahaha.

you don't like the pic? I thought it was awesome. I just needed a basketball pic and that one caught my eye. =P

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a great post too. And THAT picture...umm, I am not sure how much you can have, maybe none?

Love, Suzi

Kenny said...

the question i raise here:

If it's not how much you can have. What about:

How long you could you keep it?

ippei said...

Thanks Suzi. :) I think the picture is a great representation of how you might 'feel' about a passion, inside and out? Or am I just reaching for some meaning here. lol.

Hey Kenny, how long can you keep it? That is a good question, but I think as I've proved in my post, a very long time! Can't say forever because I won't last that long. :P